14 December 2008

mama's got a brand new bag (or four)

After much procrastination, I finally took Sewing Basics I at Make on Friday night. My wonderfully encouraging boyfriend, Rod, won me a class card at the October Bazaar, and I finally got around to taking the class.

Now I am obsessed with sewing.

Including the one we made in class, I have made FOUR handbags this weekend. Since I'm not all too fast at it yet, that's pretty major! Here's the first one, from class:

For my next feat outside of class, I used this gorgeous cream quilted drapery fabric. It's much prettier in real life, and I love the contrast with the wooden handles/button. I came up with this pattern myself, and while I like it, I do wish the opening were bigger. Ah well, next time.

...and the lining, which is so cute!

The third bag I did I'm going to refrain from posting since it's a Christmas present. :) The final bag that I finished this morning is my very favorite. I was actually trying to work out a pattern for my friend Erin J who wants a bag inspired by this Gucci, but for <$2000:
I couldn't really figure out the pattern without making an actual bag for myself, so here is my version (I still need to add some big ass gold buttons):

It's not identical to the Gucci, but I'm really, REALLY proud of it. My pleats turned out pretty much perfect, which surprised me since I'm so new to this. I also am in love with the fabric. It's also a drapery fabric, designed by Cacharel, and has a velvety texture to it. Finally, the houndstooth lining is pretty swell. Alright, I'm done praising my own work! I'm just really pleased with how it came out.

I have plans for a clutch that I'll probably work on tomorrow. My next step is learning how to sew garments, and I don't think I'll ever leave the house once that happens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you that I am busting at the seams with pride for some reason that I haven't quite figured out. Your new sewing adventure seems to be going swimmingly and I am duly impressed. I do have a question though...with all this work on specialty purses when are you gonna put your talents to work fo ra worthwhile cause...ie. for the diseased or the hairless? Just think about it and know that I am a big fan!